...good teachers are priceless. They inspire you, they entertain you, and you end up learning a lot even when you don't know it.
Dear John by Nicholas Sparks

Monday, February 8, 2010

Snow Day.... again?

I am so tired of this cold, yucky weather! Every day that our schools close, is another day of student teaching I will have to make up at the end of my second placement. Oh well, at least it is a good chance to get some much needed work done.

I am so excited to share with you what my week was like last week! For my English lessons, I planned a writing mini unit where the students worked in groups of five to write a script for a play. On Monday, I put the students in groups and gave them the task of coming up with a plot, setting, title, and list of characters. On Tuesday, we talked about dialogue and how to organize their script. On Wednesday I introduced stage directions and the students had to add them to their script. Thursday, the students completed their final draft, and on Friday, they acted them out for the class.

The students had a GREAT time, as did my cooperating teacher and I. I was very impressed with their plays and the amount of work they put into them. Our principal even came in to watch a few of them. At the end of the third group's play, they each help up a sign with their name and character written on it. Then they flipped them over to reveal the message "We love you Mrs. Wilson and Mrs. Carter!" It was so sweet. I never saw myself teaching sixth grade, but I have grown so attached to these kids that I will miss them so much when I leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment