...good teachers are priceless. They inspire you, they entertain you, and you end up learning a lot even when you don't know it.
Dear John by Nicholas Sparks

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Adventures on the Assembly Line

Oh sixth graders.... I love them despite their constant need to talk and ability to bicker over the simplest things. Social Studies, while one of my favorite subject, is not always that interesting; Especially for sixth graders coming down off the high of another snow day. So I tried to spice things up by having the students work in teams on a makeshift assembly line to create as many items as possible. We had been talking about Henry Ford and the development of the assembly line. To help them get a better idea how the assembly line worked, I broke them into two groups of girls and two groups of boys. Each group had a couple of minutes to decide on a product to produce and who would do each part. Then, I gave each group a stack of scrap paper and a pair of scissors. The idea was for each member of the team to draw a portion of the product, then pass it down to the next member. The last member had to cut out the product. Two minutes on the timer.....and...... GO! I watched closely as the two groups of girls zipped through each product. The boys however, argued and bickered over which member was doing what part of the product, and who was doing what wrong. Once the timer went off, one team of girls had three products, one team had one product, and the boys had none. I think we will have to try this project again tomorrow. It was so interesting to see them working together to create one project, even if some of them didn't agree with what the group wanted to do.

I suppose I have rambled enough. I just felt that this experience was worth sharing. (:

Stay Blessed!
K

No comments:

Post a Comment